Friday, February 17, 2012

Joel Peter Witkin-Keith











Seeing that Witkin print of the decapitated man at the Eastman House got me hooked on Joel Peter Witkin. After researching his work, it revealed images that I have seen before, but never knew who created them. I haven't found one image of Witkin's I haven't loved. Say what you want about his subject matter, he is the master of the macabre. I found out he had a traumatic experience as a child where he saw a girl's decapitated head roll in front of him from a car accident, and was taken away when he went to approach it. Witkin was also a Vietnam war photographer in his earlier days. His story makes the work that much more intriguing.

1 comment:

  1. seriously keith where do you find these things hahah you like the craziest stuff but i love it!

    ReplyDelete